Temple Emanuel was founded in 1948, the same year that the United Nations passed the resolution to create the State of Israel. Here in our little part of the world, twenty-eight Jewish families came together and resolved to create a Reform congregation. Construction on our present temple began in 1948, and it was dedicated by 60 members on March 20, 1949.
Over the years our temple went through some cosmetic changes. A classroom wing was added, and in 1972 and 1973 the sanctuary was remodeled, a library was added, and the kitchen was enlarged.
In the fall of 2008 we dedicated our new building on Chai Street.
Ten rabbis have served our congregation. Our present rabbi is Rabbi Claudio Kogan.